What is Prolutex (Progesterone) Injection ?
Prolutex contains progesterone 25 mg, it is naturally female sex hormones given when the body is not making enough of it. Prolutex is effective and safe in supporting the lute phase in IVF (In vitro fertilization) patients. prolutex must be prescribed by a doctor.
Active ingredient of Prolutex
Progesterone is a type of sex female hormone
What are the therapeutic indications of Prolutex ?
- treatment of abnormal bleeding from the uterus due to low level of progesterone.
- used in female infertility.
- treatment of Amenorrhea.
- used to relieve perimenopausal symptoms.
- used to treat insufficient progesterone.
- help to restore normal menstrual periods that have stopped for months.
- premature labor.
- gender dysphoria.
What is the dose of prolutex ?
to be injected once daily.
Route of administration of prolutex 25 mg
Prolutex (progesterone) Injection is given by subcutaneous route (25 mg) or intramuscular route (25 mg) injection.
Mechanism of Action of Prolutex. How does it work in our body ?
Prolutex 25 mg is a naturally occurring steroid that is secreted by the ovary, placenta, and adrenal gland. In the presence of adequate estrogen, it transforms a proliferative endometrium into a secretory endometrium.
Prolutex 25 mg is necessary to increase endometrial receptivity for implantation of an embryo. Once an embryo is implanted, it acts to maintain a pregnancy.
Progesterone is lypophilic in nature and diffuses freely into cells, where it binds to the Prolutex 25 mg receptors and exerts its progestational activity. The steroid-receptor complex binds to DNA in the nucleus, thereby inducing the synthesis of specific proteins.
Prolutex 25 mg receptor concentrations are low in the absence of estrogens and increase following oestrogen administration.
What if you miss a dose ?
If you miss a dose of Prolutex 25 mg, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double dose.
What to do in case of overdosing of prolutex ?
If you take overdose of prolutex solution, please go to the emergency department of the hospital.
What are the side effects of Prolutex ?
- pain and swelling at injection site.
- breast tenderness.
- weight gain or loss.
- increased body or facial hair.
- loss of scalp hair.
- Rise in body temperature.
- Other congenital abnormalities.
- Increased appetite.
- Mood swings may occur.
Prolutex, Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Prolutex can be used up until no later than the 12th week of pregnancy
- Progesterone is excreted in human milk and it should not be used during breastfeeding.
Why Prolutex (progesterone) can be used during pregnancy ?
- It helps to strengthen the walls of the uterus.
- It helps to grow breast tissue.
- making sure a woman’s body doesn’t make milk until the baby is born.
Contraindications with Prolutex
- Hypersensitivity to progesterone
- Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding
- Severe hepatic dysfunction or disease
- genital tract cancer
- breast cancer
- History of seizures
- Impaired liver functions
- Thromboembolic disorder
Can Prolutex vial be used for absence of a menstrual period ?
What are the drug interactions with Prolutex ?
Drugs known to induce the hepatic cytochrome-P450-3A4 system (e.g. rifampicin, carbamazepine, griseofulvin, phenobarbital, phenytoin or St. John’s Wort may increase the elimination rate and decrease the bioavailability of progesterone
What are the other alternatives of Prolutex ? Drugs that have the same active ingredient:
How to store Prolutex ?
- Store it at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C).
- Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted.
- Store away from heat and light.
- Do not remove from the sealed foiled pouch until just before use.
- Keep it out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- Do not freeze medicines