OZEMPIC 1 MG PEN
Active Ingredient of Ozempic Prefilled Pen
Therapeutic indications of OZEMPIC 1 MG PEN
Ozempic is indicated for the treatment of adults with insufficiently controlled type 2 diabetes mellitus as an adjunct to diet and exercise
as monotherapy when metformin is considered inappropriate due to intolerance or contraindications
In addition to other medicinal products for the treatment of diabetes.
For study results with respect to combinations, effects on glycaemic control and cardiovascular events, and the populations studied.
Mechanism of action of Ozempic 1 mg (Semaglutide)
Semaglutide is a GLP-1 analogue with 94% sequence homology to human GLP-1. Semaglutide acts as a GLP-1 receptor agonist that selectively binds to and activates the GLP-1 receptor, the target for native GLP-1.
GLP-1 is a physiological hormone that has multiple actions in glucose and appetite regulation, and in the cardiovascular system. The glucose and appetite effects are specifically mediated via GLP-1 receptors in the pancreas and the brain.
Semaglutide reduces blood glucose in a glucose dependent manner by stimulating insulin secretion and lowering glucagon secretion when blood glucose is high. The mechanism of blood glucose lowering also involves a minor delay in gastric emptying in the early postprandial phase. During hypoglycaemia, semaglutide diminishes insulin secretion and does not impair glucagon secretion.
Semaglutide reduces body weight and body fat mass through lowered energy intake, involving an overall reduced appetite. In addition, semaglutide reduces the preference for high fat foods.
GLP-1 receptors are also expressed in the heart, vasculature, immune system and kidneys.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding with OZEMPIC 1 MG PEN
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, think you might be pregnant, or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor for advice before taking this medicine.
This medicine should not be used during pregnancy, as it is not known if it may affect your unborn child. Therefore, it is recommended to use contraception while using this medicine. If you wish to become pregnant, you should stop using this medicine at least two months in advance. If you become pregnant when using this medicine, talk to your doctor right away, as your treatment will need to be changed.
Do not use this medicine if you are breast-feeding, as it is unknown if it passes into breast milk.
How to use Ozempic ?
- The starting dose is 0.25 mg once a week for four weeks.
- After four weeks your doctor will increase your dose to 0.5 mg once a week.
- Your doctor may increase your dose to 1 mg once a week if your blood sugar is not controlled well enough with a dose of 0.5 mg once a week.
- Do not change your dose unless your doctor has told you to.
How Ozempic is given ?
Ozempic is given as an injection under the skin (subcutaneous injection). Do not inject it into a vein or muscle.
- The best places to give the injection are the front of your thighs, the front of your waist (abdomen), or your upper arm.
- Before you use the pen for the first time, your doctor or nurse will show you how to use it.
- Detailed instructions for use are on the other side of this leaflet.
When to use Ozempic 1 mg ?
- You should use this medicine once a week on the same day each week if possible.
- You can give yourself the injection at any time of the day – regardless of meals.
Side effects of Ozempic 1 mg Pen
- complications of diabetic eye disease (retinopathy) – you should inform your doctor if you experience eye problems, such as changes in vision, during treatment with this medicine.
- nausea– this usually goes away over time
- diarrhoea – this usually goes away over time
- hypoglycaemia when this medicine is used with another antidiabetic medicine
- inflamed stomach (‘gastritis’) – the signs include stomach ache, feeling sick (nausea) or being sick (vomiting)
- reflux or heartburn – also called ‘gastro-esophageal reflux disease’ (GERD)
- stomach pain
- bloating of the stomach
- gall stones
- weight loss
- less appetite
- gas (flatulence)
- increase of pancreatic enzymes (such as lipase and amylase).
What are the other drugs that have the same mechanism of action ?
Saxenda 6 mg/ml pen (Liraglutide)
What is the price of Ozempic 1 mg in Egypt ?
Ozempic 1 mg pen is for 1588 EGP in 2021.