What is the hassle about skin care products nowadays?
Many of us still don’t know how to identify their skin type and what are the best products to take care of it. It doesn’t matter what your gender identity is, we all need to pay more attention to our skin. In this article, we will get to know our skin more, its types and how to pamper it according to each type.
Skin is the largest organ of the body. It consists of 3 layers: –
1)The epidermis which is the outermost layer of skin, it provides a waterproof barrier and creates our skin tone.
2) The dermis, beneath the epidermis, it contains hair follicles, and sweat glands.
3) The deeper subcutaneous tissue is made of fat and connective tissue.
Skin can be classified according to sebum secretion: –
- Normal skin which is our ultimate goal
Characteristics of normal skin
2) Smooth texture with barely visible pores.
3) Few or no flaws
- Oily skin
Characteristics of oily skin
2) Visible enlarged pores
3) Blackheads, whiteheads and pimples
- Combined skin
It’s normal or dry in some areas, but oily in T-zone. T-zone includes chin, nose and forehead.
Characteristics of combined skin are similar to that of oily skin
- Dry skin
1) Rough, tight and less elastic complexion
2) Invisible pores
3) Fine wrinkles tend to appear at young age
4) May have red flakes.
- Sensitive skin
2) Burning sensation
3) Red patches
4) Tight and dry complexion
Steps of your daily skin care routine: –
Using a suitable cleanser
This is the most important step in your skin care routine as
- It cleans dirt and other pollutants.
- Purifies pores from the inside and decrease excessive sebum production.
- Allows other skin care products to penetrate the skin easily.
Frequency Apply it twice daily
- Normal Skin
We recommend using a mild cleanser containing soothing agents such as panthenol and allantoin. These ingredients are found in Purete Thermale cleanser from Vichy.
- Oily and Combined skin
We recommend using a cleanser containing keratolytic agent such as salicylic acid along with anti-inflammatory agents such as niacinamide and zinc.
Cleanance cleansing gel from Eau Thermale Avene is highly recommended for these types of skin.
- Dry skin/ Atopy prone skin /Sensitive skin
We recommend using an ultra-gentle cleanser that contains moisturizing agents such as shea butter.
Lipikar Syndet AP+ from La Roche Posay is highly recommended.
Using a toner
- Minimizes pore size
- Regulation of sebum production
- Removes any impurities
Frequency: Apply it twice daily after using your cleanser
- Normal skin
Purete Thermale toner from Vichy is highly recommended.
- Combined and Oily skin
Effaclar toner from La Roche Posay is highly recommended due to its astringent properties.
- Dry and Sensitive skin
Gentle toning lotion with rose petals from Nuxe is highly recommended.
As it helps in:
1) Removing dead skin
2) Removing blackheads and whiteheads
3) Decreasing blemishes or any imperfections
Frequency: Once a week
- Normal skin and Sensitive skin
Gentle Exfoliating gel from Eau Thermale Avene is highly recommended. However, you must be very cautious when using scrubs on sensitive skin as it may cause severe irritation if not used properly. First, apply a very little amount on small part of your skin to test it.
- Oily and Combined skin
- St Ives scrub with apricots
- Effaclar exfoliating mask from La Roche Posay.
These products are very effective in reducing blemishes in oily and combined skin.
- Dry skin and Sensitive skin
Reve De Miel scrub from Nuxe is said to be very gentle and moisturizing for sensitive and dry skin as it contains honey and precious oils.
Moisturizing regularly is very crucial even for oily skin. It reduces fine lines and provides protective layer against pollutants.
- A suitable moisturizer will help prevent and treat dry skin.
- It will protect sensitive skin, improve skin tone and texture, and mask imperfections.
- As moisturizers hold water in the outermost layer of skin, they also act as a temporary barrier for your skin.
- It also protects the outer layer of the skin from harmful effects of sun, wind and other environmental factors.
- Normal and Sensitive skin
Toleriane Ultra cream from La Roche Posay is very strong moisturizer as it contains shea butter.
- Dry skin
Lipikar AP Baume from La Roche Posay is very effective for dry and atopy prone skin.
- Oily or Combined skin
Effaclar H cream from La Roche Posay along with Mineral 89 daily boost from Vichy will lock moisture in your skin with a cushion like barrier due to its humectant properties as it contains hyaluronic acid with mineral elements.
Using sunblock is a must.
Never ever go out without wearing your sunblock even in cold weather as
- It reduces fine lines and risk of skin cancer
- It reduces sun burns and hyperpigmentation that results from prolonged sun exposure.
Frequency: it must be applied 30 minutes before sun exposure and to re-applied every 2 hours.
- Normal or Dry skin
Anthelios ultra cream with SPF50 from La Roche Posay provides high moisture along with its protection against UVA and UVB rays.
- Combined or Sensitive skin
Vichy Ideal Soleil Dry Touch Face Emulsion SPF 50 is your ultimate choice as it’s fragrance free and oil free formula and provides a matt look once applied.
- Oily skin with acne
Oil free fluid is highly recommended for oily skin to avoid excessive sebum production and breakouts. Therefore, Anthelios Shaka fluid from La Roche Posay is one of the top ranked products that get absorbed in less than a second once applied on your skin.
At last, taking care of your skin according to its type is very crucial because our skin is the largest visceral organ. It acts as a barrier against infectious diseases that we face every day. Keeping our skin moisturized and healthy helps keeping it strong against any pathogen. When we use the wrong skin care that doesn’t fit us, our skin gets dry and irritated by wrong routines as a result cracks in the skin can occur which make a person more vulnerable to infections.