The Best Sunscreens for Your Face, According to Dermatologists
10 Best Sunscreens for Kids
How to Select Sunscreen for kids ( review all sunscreens here! )
When it comes to sun protection, the options are endless.
Does your kid need SPF 30 or 50?
Find a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) between 15 and 50. Generally, 15 or 30 is fine for most babies. Opt for a sunscreen with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide for the most sensitive parts of baby’s bitty body, including the nose, cheeks, tops of the ears, and shoulders.
How can I protect my 0-6 month baby from the sun?
- Keep your baby in the shade.
- Dress your baby in sun-protective clothing, such as a lightweight, long-sleeved shirt and pants.
- Minimize sunscreen use on children younger than six months old.
- Stay safe on hot days.
What’s the difference between UVA and UVB?
- Look for the term “broad spectrum” on the label. That means the sunscreen will protect against both UVA (skin-damaging) and UVB (burning) rays.
- Pick one with Minimum SPF 30. Sunscreens that have a higher SPF don’t significantly increase protection.
Sun Care: The Basics of Sun Safety for Kid
- Go for a mineral sunscreen. The active ingredient should be zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
These are physical barriers, and they’re less likely to be absorbed into skin than ingredients in chemical sunscreens.
- Try to avoid sunscreen for babies under 6 months old. Instead, keep them out of the sun and use a hat, sunglasses, and clothing as cover.
- Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before sun exposure. If your child is playing or swimming, reapply every one to two hours.
- Possibly avoid spray sunscreens. It’s hard to know how thickly you’re applying them, and more research is still needed on the possible risks from inhalation.
Sunscreen Application Tips
10 Best Sunscreens for Kids
Seasoned parents supply clever strategies to get your squirmer to cooperate.
- Give her a choice. “Just as you let your little one pick which snack she wants from two healthy options, give her the choice of two types of sunscreens from brands you trust.”— Hillary Fogelson, four-time melanoma survivor and author of Pale Girl Speaks
- Get aboard the sunscreen train. “Everyone lines up—siblings, cousins, friends, parents—and receives a big squirt to rub on the back and shoulders of the person in front of him. An adult checks for missed spots.”—Amanda Mushro; Gaithersburg, MD
RELATED: Using sunscreen for children
10 Best Sunscreens for Kids
- Encourage silly faces. “I ask my daughter to make a puffer-fish face. It usually entertains her long enough for me to apply and smooth out the sunscreen.”—Lyla Gleason; New York, NY
- Take an artsy approach. “Buy a cheap paint brush from the hardware store, and let kids ‘paint’ on the sunscreen themselves.”—Stacie Vaughan; Pembroke, Ont., Canada
- Sync it with snack time. Does your child ask you for a snack every couple of hours? You’re in luck! “Pick natural breaks like those for snacks and lunch to reapply sunscreen.
By doing this, you’re not taking your little one away from her fun.
This strategy also gives the sunscreen time to soak in before our kid heads out of the shade.
Why should you not use sunscreen before 6 months?
Read All the 10 Best Sunscreens for Kids
Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Zinc Oxide Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50
- Specifically formulated for sensitive skin
- Mineral sunscreen made with naturally-sourced zinc oxide
- Paraben-free, phthalate-free and fragrance-free
La Roche-Posay Anthelios Dermo Kids Sunscreen SPF 60
- Oxybenzone and Octinoxate-free sunscreen for kids 3+ years old provides broad spectrum SPF 60 protection
- Comforting, easy to apply texture
- Helps skin feel smooth and soft
- Water resistant (80 minutes)
- Formulated and rigorously tested for skin tolerance, even on sensitive skin
BioDerma Photoderm Kid SPF 50 Sprayer, 200 ml
- Offers a very high UVA/UVB protection Activates the skin’s natural defences and protects from risks of cellular damage
- The colour of the product is natural and is due to the combinaison of filters
- No greasy effect Very good tolerance
- Very water resistant
PHARMACERIS-S SUN PROTECTION FACE AND BODY CREAM SPF 50+ FOR BABIES AND CHILDREN 125 ML
- The product contains a special blend of photo-stable UVA and UVB filters with a dual mechanism of UV protection (reflecting and absorbing the sun rays) to deliver very high protection from intense sunlight and its harmful effects.
- The cream also contains folic acid, which delivers enhanced skin cell protection from damage caused by UV rays.
- Golden algae oily extract provides adequate skin hydration to prevent excessive dryness and moisture loss from the epidermis.
- The formula is water-resistant and absorbs quickly. It does not leave a greasy or sticky residue.
Mustela Very High Protection Sun Lotion SPF50+ – Sun Sensitive & Intolerant Skin
- Safe for sensitive and eczema-prone skin.
- Lightweight and sheer texture. Fragrance-Free, Paraben-Free and Water Resistant.
- 93% naturally derived ingredients
- SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen for babies, children and the entire family.
- Blends easily. No chemical UV filters.
- Apply liberally to exposed areas 15 minutes before sun exposure.
- Reapply after 80 minutes of swimming or sweating
SANOSAN SUN CREAM 75ML
- Effective for infants
- The formula with valuable skin care ingredients such as organic olive extract, panthenol and vitamin E moisturize the skin and protect it from drying out.
- The formula does not contain parabens or paraffin oil.
- Immediate protection as soon as it is applied.
- Water resistant.
- Balanced UVA/UVB protection.
- Without scents, dyes and preservatives
AVENE’ SPRAY FOR CHILDREN SPF 50+
- Very high protection for children with sensitive skin, for the face and body.
- Fragrance-free. Water-resistant.
- Extremely broad-spectrum UVB-UVA protection. Photostable.
- Children with sensitive skin
NIVEA KID’S COLOURED SUN SPRAY SPF50
- NIVEA SUN Kids provides a caring formula for children’s delicate skin.
- It supports the skin barrier, immediately protects against sun burn with highly effective UVA/UVB protection and is extra water resistant.
URIAGE BARIÉSUN KID MILK SPF50+
- Lotion for children provides very high protection against UVA and UVB rays, free radicals and prevents skin from drying out.
- Its light and non-greasy texture guarantees renewed pleasure of use each time that it is applied.
- This lotion guarantees high safety, high tolerance and fast absorption.
Sebamed Baby Sun Spray SPF 50 up
- Triple protection with UVA/UVB-Filter and Vitamin E safeguards against sun damage and irritation
- Natural Inulin and Lecithin help to provide intense hydration
- Water resistant
What should I avoid in sunscreen?
- Chemical filters. Okay, so I’m grouping several chemicals under 1 ingredient unbrella, but some of the names you’ll see on the labels include: oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate and octinoxate.
- Titanium dioxide nanoparticles.
- Spray sunscreen.
- Retinyl palmitate or retinol.